Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Parker is a day and a half into the Davis Dyslexia Program and I am so excited about all that he has learned!  I felt a huge pull toward the Davis Program, but I have to admit there was a small part of me that was a bit skeptical.  We live in a society that wants or maybe even expects a quick fix, but many times the quick fix is a band-aid that covers the wound but doesn't correct it.  So when I met with Cyndi (the Davis Facilitator) and she mentioned that Parker would experience significant improvement in a week's time, I certainly had some doubts.  Those doubts and skepticism no longer exist!

Monday morning started out with Parker rating himself on a scale of 1-5 on several different categories- reading, writing, spelling, math, sports, interests, relationships, writing, communication.  It was eye-opening to hear where he saw himself.  This is something that I would love to try individually with students. Later I filled out the same questionnaire about Parker from my perspective.  This information allowed Cyndi to have a clear understanding of possible triggers that Parker may experience.  A trigger is anything that causes disorientation.  Disorientation is the loss of one's position or direction in relation to other things; a state of mind in which mental perceptions do not agree with the true facts and conditions of the environment.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment